Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Martial Arts
 CombatFitness.co.uk Forum : Martial Arts
Subject Topic: Most deadly martial art Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wutangswords
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 May 2008 at 22:00 | IP Logged Quote wutangswords

I don't know if I'd like to learn self defence.

i do want to learn a practical martial art but it's not just for self defense, I would also like to be skilled at one. I just don;t want to learn one or learn badly from a gym a martial art that won't help me in real life. I understand where your coming from though.

Back to Top View wutangswords's Profile Search for other posts by wutangswords

sexsquatch
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 25 May 2008 at 19:55 | IP Logged Quote sexsquatch

Many martial arts really don't work well for most peope in a fight situation, ie the high kicks of tae-kwon-do not because they can't work but more usually because it takes years of dedication and hard training to really get adequate. for something relatively quick, easy to learn and that can be effective the military arts, like Krav Maga, Systema, or the new U.S system H2H are all designed to teach soldiers to be able to fight effectively with the least amount of time spent training.
Back to Top View sexsquatch's Profile Search for other posts by sexsquatch

bilsim

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:24 | IP Logged Quote bilsim

MOST martial arts will teach you they are the most deadly, I think it;s more a case of being the most effective. hand and kick blocks applied in something like kung fu can be more gentle and less effective than those applied in judo, but in a street fight, I'd rather have a knowledge of Kung Fu open strikes than Judo holds and throws. It's all dependant, the most deadly is probably the Isreali S.A.S who teach that every block will kill, i.e a basic hand block is block, strike and keep striking until your assailant is dead.

Back to Top View bilsim's Profile Search for other posts by bilsim

rere
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 14:29 | IP Logged Quote rere

hahahaha like the chain punch in wing chun lol

keep punching until the assailant is down

i love the no holds bar of the style too, i hate violence now so i decided to stop, but who knows what the future might bring i may take it up again.

I think wing chun is the most deadliest if you use it right and stop showing off!!

Back to Top View rere's Profile Search for other posts by rere

drederick_tatum
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 31 May 2008 at 00:50 | IP Logged Quote drederick_tatum

i think wing chun isnt too effective. i did try it many moons ago and the style (mine seemed very 'traditional') had nothing below the waist. ie, the kicks were poor, and it did not cater for takedowns or any kind of thug style 'rugby tackle' that is common in a streetfight. we learned a number of traps combined with strikes, in hindsight all were pretty useless (try bong sau on a full power right cross left hook and you;ll see what i mean).

although impressive for their range, the strikes lacked any real power, and dont give me any of that one inch punch sh*t, the 28 inch punch is a hell of a lot more powerful!

the argument has been said soooooooooo many times.

why arent there any decent mma fighters whose base is wing chun?
boxing, thai boxing, bjj, freestyle, greco-roman, judo-yes, wing chun-no. it is just fighting after all!
Back to Top View drederick_tatum's Profile Search for other posts by drederick_tatum

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 31 May 2008 at 18:44 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

Agreed but the wing chun that works (read people like Alan Orr) looks like dirty boxing. And yes, I am a chunner.
Back to Top View ah_dut's Profile Search for other posts by ah_dut

drederick_tatum
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 02 June 2008 at 20:30 | IP Logged Quote drederick_tatum

just looked up alan orr, saw him on youtube in an amateur mma fight, and also one of his students in a pro mma fight, both won, but it didnt look like wing chun to me! looked like mma!
Back to Top View drederick_tatum's Profile Search for other posts by drederick_tatum

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 02 June 2008 at 21:24 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

As I said, their standup looks like dirty boxing and their groundwork looks like Catch Wrestling/BJJ.
Back to Top View ah_dut's Profile Search for other posts by ah_dut

rere
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 05 June 2008 at 14:48 | IP Logged Quote rere

lol all this martial arts lol

well i suppose it depends on what you want to do i guess i found out wing chun helped me a great deal and i won a few "street fights" with ease, i suppose it all depends on your opponent at the time of the fight.

after all it only takes that one punch to knock someone out!

Back to Top View rere's Profile Search for other posts by rere

BlyssfullyHated

Posted: 26 June 2008 at 07:15 | IP Logged Quote BlyssfullyHated

to say which martial art is more deadly is like asking which is more deadly between a hammer and a gun... XP and as far as choosing one, you really should try a few of them out and check out videos about them, because that way you can see what you would be doing and judge how much you like it.
Back to Top View BlyssfullyHated's Profile Search for other posts by BlyssfullyHated

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version