Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Grappling
 CombatFitness.co.uk Forum : Grappling
Subject Topic: Help - simple yet effective Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gerr
Training Hard
Training Hard

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 February 2007 at 20:12 | IP Logged Quote gerr

Two words. Krav Maga.
Back to Top View gerr's Profile Search for other posts by gerr

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 12 February 2007 at 22:17 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

Do you really think Krav has a better ground game than BJJ?
Back to Top View ah_dut's Profile Search for other posts by ah_dut

gerr
Training Hard
Training Hard

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 10:12 | IP Logged Quote gerr

Krav Maga is a grappling-striking mixed martial arts, giving you a huge advantage over an opponent who only knows one or the other. In addition, the goal in krav maga is to cripple your opponent as quickly as possible, by any means possible (i.e. also dirty fighting). In my opinion, if mastered, it's probably the best form of self defense for street fights.

Regarding ground fighting- I would just recommend freestyle wrestling- it will teach the right mindframe and the right positions to be in, and once you use one of those moves on someone, you will know how to take the extra step to inflict serious pain (as you wouldnt do during a match)

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 13 February 2007 at 23:55 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

The Kimura, armbar and Americana are all high percentage and very painful. The RNC or cross collar aren't painful per se but still incapacitating. It doesn't take a genius to set up a guard pass with some knee-age to the groin and strikes or anything like that either, nor does an eye gouge from mount etcetc. Sorry if I'm not using wrestling terminology as I don't know it, I've just got very, very little experience in BJJ.

I always thought that Krav Maga as taught to IDF people was basically step back and shoot the person? I always thought military hand to hand training was all quite primitive

gerr
Training Hard
Training Hard

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 09:39 | IP Logged Quote gerr

I haven't learned krav maga yet, but a good friend of mine's older brother (23) has been training in it for over 5 years, and he's gotten fairly dangerous with it. I got to see him in action at a bar fight, and it wasn't pretty.

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 14 February 2007 at 18:15 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

A BJJer for 5 years will have pretty rough control, as will a thai boxer. Or maybe, I just suck at standup and groundwork...The basics have to be there for the ''dirty fighting'' to work in my opinion anyways. The Krav I did in London looked like kickboxing with some consideration for basic clinching, which is good, but nothing special. There was no consideration for proper groundwork.

KaosMethod

Posted: 15 February 2007 at 03:07 | IP Logged Quote KaosMethod

Hey guys,

I'm a Shootfighter trained in Thai K.B and BJJ as well as a MAC instructor in the ARMY.  I have seen a lot of different styles and techniques i am open to all questions anybody may have. I have seen the discussions you guys have one LT X (aka Chris Pizzo), & Matt Furey. I have seen the ABC Videos, they r ok for good workouts, be aware though along with Chris there is a company out there that claims to make you a certified ASST Instructor  for the IACCP (International Association of Close Combat Professionals). They say you can recieve up to $500.00 an Hour. Once again guess who's names are on their contributing members and recommendation list. Yeah both LT X and Mr. Furey. I haven't heard anything back from them yet, my feelings: BIG SCAM!!!!

Back to Top View KaosMethod's Profile Search for other posts by KaosMethod

administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 February 2007 at 23:32 | IP Logged Quote administrator

Sounds good, anyone want to pay me $500 an hour for my 'expertise'?  I can knock up a few certificates on my computer if this helps?
Back to Top View administrator's Profile Search for other posts by administrator

sexsquatch
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 20:32 | IP Logged Quote sexsquatch

One of the things I actually like about Krav Maga is it's simplicity...the techniques are not fancy or unnatural one can become prettty adept at it in a short time. I personally don't think it's so much the combination of standup and grappling that makes Krav viable it's just mostly common sense.
Back to Top View sexsquatch's Profile Search for other posts by sexsquatch

sexsquatch
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 22 February 2007 at 20:36 | IP Logged Quote sexsquatch

However Krav is not a srong source of wrist locks, armbars..etc. Pretty effective for street though...nothing like a groin kick and run.

Back to Top View sexsquatch's Profile Search for other posts by sexsquatch

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version