Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Grappling
 CombatFitness.co.uk Forum : Grappling
Subject Topic: Ground Fighting Fitness! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Robbie
Training Hard
Training Hard

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 September 2005 at 23:01 | IP Logged Quote Robbie

Is anybody here any good at ground fighting? (any style)

I am just starting out and wondering what people have found is the best way to get fit for ground fighting? (apart from lots of ground fighting!) I really am looking for people that have actually done a lot of ground fighting for advice on this one! Only reply if you have some experience!

Back to Top View Robbie's Profile Search for other posts by Robbie

rattankid
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 02 September 2005 at 00:14 | IP Logged Quote rattankid

the better your cardio gets, the longer you can roll.  i see a direct correlation between aerobic capacity and training time.  when i started bjj, i was gassed after 10-15 mins of sparring.  the more i work on my 'wind', the more i can train.  flexibility (decreased muscle resistance) is my next project. hindu squats, running, rope skipping, all give you wind and hips.
Back to Top View rattankid's Profile Search for other posts by rattankid

Irko
Training Hard
Training Hard

Posted: 04 September 2005 at 21:43 | IP Logged Quote Irko

I've done judo for the past 4 years and sessions at my club are split 50/50 between ground and standing. My personal opinion would be to work on your anaerobic capability. The problem is not steadily moving all the time such as in swimming or running so it is not aerobic fitness that you need to work on mainly, it is the endurance and recovery from bursts of intense activity (anaerobic fitness). i.e. grappling for position, holding position, grappling for position, holding position, prying on the arm-bar, scrambling for position, holding position, etc.

I could not recommend "the ultimate burpee" (look it up in google for pictures and detailed descriptions) highly enough. Its like a squat thrust, squat and press up all in one rep. It in my opinion is the finest whole body cardio exercise. Start by doing 100 a day with a short term goal of 200 a day and a long term goal of 300-400 a day. Start with sets of 25 reps and aim for 50-100 reps per set. Feel free to switch the press-up in every rep to something else (i.e. wide arms, close arms, diamond, etc). Work towards a quick and steady pace, before long your anaerobic and aerobic endurance should shoot up.

--Irko
Back to Top View Irko's Profile Search for other posts by Irko

vikingar
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 04 September 2005 at 22:00 | IP Logged Quote vikingar

ive been grappling and training vale tudo for a few years, i did muay thai only before that. the type of fitness needed seems to be completely different, i was ok with stand up, but when i first started grappling i was gassed easily. the best thing to do is roll- you need to build your mat fitness and learn how to relax and breathe properly on the mat. on the side, you need to get the balance right- too much weights will make you stiff and slower, if you dont do any resistance training you may lack power. i do basic weightlifting twice a week, bench, squats, pull ups etc. and the rest of my supplementary training consists of skipping, calisthenics and bag work. sprints are really good for explosiveness, so, depending on what suits you, try different stuff and see what works- just remember to get the balance between anaroebic and aerobic right and your onto a winner!
Back to Top View vikingar's Profile Search for other posts by vikingar

administrator
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 September 2005 at 19:07 | IP Logged Quote administrator

You can drill ground fighting by yourself.  My old kung fu instructors motto used to be "repetition, repetition, repetition".

I've got an article somewhere, PM me your email and I'll try to dig it out for you.

Back to Top View administrator's Profile Search for other posts by administrator

Deimos
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 17 September 2005 at 01:13 | IP Logged Quote Deimos

Strength+Stamina.

Real strength, not gym strength though.

I recommend you read up on the Hindu Wrestler "Gama", who kicked the ass of many "supposedly best" western champions from both Europe and America.

Back to Top View Deimos's Profile Search for other posts by Deimos

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 19 September 2005 at 18:04 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

Well I guess the burpee is excellent here...I am not a person who does much groundfighting but I have seen it do wonders in my friends who take judo
Back to Top View ah_dut's Profile Search for other posts by ah_dut

sexsquatch
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 13:57 | IP Logged Quote sexsquatch

I'd agree most with Irko here.. anaerobic training, with circuit training and groundfighting itself being your best training tools.
Back to Top View sexsquatch's Profile Search for other posts by sexsquatch

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version