Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Your diaries
 CombatFitness.co.uk Forum : Your diaries
Subject Topic: Here I go again... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LadyK

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 November 2006 at 18:52 | IP Logged Quote LadyK

Well, I'm getting to be an old lady, and I have yet to be in shape in my life. I recently was diagnosed with multiple food and environmental allergies, as well as asthma, (I thought everyone breathed like that).

My past workouts would never energize me, only exhaust me, but I'm hoping to change things up.

I did weight watchers for 1 1/2 years, lost 40 lbs, then got sick, gained 30 back. I was diagnosed with the allergies and am back to a whopping weight again. I know what I have to do to lose the weight, re: dieting, but I went for so long denying myself that I'm having a hard time facing it again, now that I can no longer eat any cow dairy or wheat. Guess I have to get over it and move on, but it seems so incredibly hard and overwhelming... I want to eat like a normal person, and I can't, and the frustration of finding substitutes and not being able to eat what I see everyone else eating is driving me a bit mad.

I figure in time I'll come to terms with it. It's only been 6 months since I found this all out.

I have back problems, and body problems, so working out isn't as easy for me. Time problems too. Seems everyone else comes first and I'm always taking care of myself last. It's very difficult for me to say no to husband and family. I'd like an hour to myself every day, but I don't want it to be taken up with exercise. I want to work on my writing, photographs, etc... nurture the creative side of myself, as it's been put on hold for way too long. So I've got an internal struggle between my physical self and mental self, both want whatever free time I have, and it's not much, so I have to work that out.

I do have a stepper. I can't run anymore, but I can go out for a powerwalk. I stumbled across this forum looking for the Hindu exercises. Sounded good for me. I don't have a way to do pull ups, any other way to strengthen those muscles without a bar? I'll just have to get up earlier and pass out earlier at the end of the day. Wish I didn't have to sleep. Allergy meds make me very tired, as does the asthma, but I can't stand not fitting into any of my clothes and feeling like crap.

So. Here's my first entry. I'm printing the exercises, I'm going to sincerely try... Here's hoping I don't give up in a few days/weeks like I usually do.
Back to Top View LadyK's Profile Search for other posts by LadyK

ah_dut
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: 02 November 2006 at 17:43 | IP Logged Quote ah_dut

Good luck. In regards to strengthening the back muscles like the lats, a sturdy table is all you need. you can do a type of rowing movement with it by gripping the table. That may be more suitable for a beginner than full pullups anyway.

Take it easy, for the first couple of weeks you simply want to get into the habit of excercise. If an excercise hurts your joints (and it might well) then think of a better alternative, learn to do it properly (especially with power/o lifts) or simply see where it fits. I for example suck at squating. My body structure is terrible for it. But Squatting is near essential for my goals so I do it. It's not comfortable but not dangerous so it's all good.

As always, best of luck and ask if you have any questions.
PS: watch out for marketing hype. You'll make great improvements as a beginner in resistance training
Back to Top View ah_dut's Profile Search for other posts by ah_dut

sexsquatch
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 05 January 2007 at 20:07 | IP Logged Quote sexsquatch

You want an hour a day to yourself but don't want that to be taken up with excercise?

Have you thought of an hour a day excersising WITH your family? The time as a family is great and the moral support you can get from them is likely to increase your chances of success! Then take the hour a day to yourself to work on writing..etc. I know with asthma it's difficult but try to do the "powerwalk" daily and it's an activity that you can take your family and just talk and enjoy thier company. and the increased cardio you'll obtain will help with the breathing, and you'll feel less tired as time goes on. GOOD LUCK

Back to Top View sexsquatch's Profile Search for other posts by sexsquatch

Sweeny
Seasoned Pro
Seasoned Pro

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 09:26 | IP Logged Quote Sweeny

I used to have asthma but through homeopathy it was basically cured, so i'd advise you to look into that, much better than drugs. Now i follow the SHR and i have no asthma at all.

Not being able to eat dairy and wheat products is no bad thing though. Infact id say its better for you. I won't go into the details but Arthur de Vany explains it nicely on his site www.arthurdevany.com www.arthurdevany.com

As for exercise i think sexsquatch is right, do it with the family. With them there too you'll all work harder to out-do each other and that can only encourage you to do more.

Back to Top View Sweeny's Profile Search for other posts by Sweeny

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version